Friday, April 10, 2009

Friday Photography - Spoonbridge and Air

I think that here at True to Words and at the Barker & Hedges blog I write for, Friday's are going to permanently be for displaying photos. They are fun to look at and they don't require a lot of thought: Perfect for Friday posts! Plus, I think photos serve as an element of language that writing just can't quite emulate. You can paint a picture with words, but sometimes the painting is better!

Today, I'm showcasing a set of photos I took on Wednesday, April 8, 2009. I went to the Walker Art Center to get some pictures of the landmark Spoonbridge and Cherry, both for my own photo collection and to contribute to the photos that Barker & Hedges are putting together to visually represent the Twin Cities communities they cover. Much to my surprise, it was just a Spoonbridge, minus the Cherry.


















Apparently, it's out being refinished. When the Cherry returns, sometime between the end of April and the beginning of June (reports are conflicting), it is going to be redder and shinier than last we saw it. From what I can tell, this is the first time the Cherry has been removed since it was first installed in the Sculpture Garden between 1985 and 1988.

See the full set of Spoonbridge and Cherry minus the Cherry photos.

1 comment:

  1. Love this!

    I'm not sure the reason, possibly the distraction caused by the children I've been with when visiting the Sculpture Gardens, but I never realized that the Spoonbridge is actually a bridge... And I have dozen of pictures of various nieces, nephews and my own girls posing in front of it.

    Now it's clear to me why I never became a detective!

    I do a Photo Friday too, it's a nice way to end the week!

    Wendy

    ReplyDelete