Thursday, February 25, 2016

Breathing Life Into a Ghost Blog

It's been exactly two years since I published in True to Words. Sad! Time to bring this ghost blog back to life.

For not having published a new post in two years, traffic has been surprisingly steady. As in several days within the last month there have been traffic spikes greater than 100 visitors. That's... actually pretty incredible for a zombie blog.

So, here I am, ready to breathe new life into True to Words. I still really feel strongly about the reasons why I started this blog: To have a creative outlet all my own, to explore language, and to have a bit of fun writing. To give you a taste of what to expect in the future, these are my 5 most popular posts of all time:

5. Language Barrier: Finger Lickin' Good. Sometimes, your marketing messages don't quite translate into another language. KFC learned that the hard way.

4. Longest Words in the English Language. Yes, that word from Mary Poppins is here. And so is antidisestablishmentarianism. But you won't believe how many letters are in the longest word ever.

3. Floriography: The Language of Flowers. When a flower isn't just a flower, you have floriography. You might already know what yellow roses mean, but do you know what a yellow carnation means?

2. Friday Photography - Graffiti is Like Modern Day Cave Painting. Before I started Sam Can Shoot (another ghost blog which I may revive), I featured photos every Friday. This post was a little different from all the rest and the title speaks for itself. 

1. Dinner vs. Supper. The popularity of this post astounds me, and people still leave comments on it - more than 43,000 views at the time of this writing. Read about how dinner and supper aren't quite the same, and dinner actually started as breakfast!

Sara Duane is a freelance writer in the Twin Cities area of the great state of Minnesota.  

No comments:

Post a Comment