Friday, February 26, 2016

Minneapolis Pet News - Since I've Been Gone...

The last time I re-blogged my Minneapolis Pet News Examiner stories was more than 2 years ago. I've covered a lot of topics in that time, and I'd like to share them below. There's been a little bit of advice about dogs, cats and birds - three types of pets that I happen to know a lot about, because I share my home with one of each!

Dogs


Help pets cope with Minnesota's long, rough winter.
Though this winter is almost over, some dogs
(including mine!) are probably going a bit stir crazy right about now. These are some tips for keeping your dogs safe and satisfied in the cold season.

Keep Minnesota dogs safe from ticks this summer. On the flip side, the weather is warming up and sooner than you think, it will be time for bugs to emerge. Learn about tick prevention and treatment with these tips.

Dogs should never eat these fruits and vegetables. Summer is when consumption of fruits and veggies increase among humans. You may be tempted to share your food with your dog, but there are some they should never, ever eat.

Lost Dogs-MN helps reunite people with lost pets. The Facebook page Lost Dogs Minnesota, otherwise known as Lost Dogs-MN, has become a vital place for helping dogs get back home.

Cats


Pancreatitis symptoms and treatment for cats. My cat Krillin has had repeated bouts with pancreatitis.
Here, I pass on a bit of my own knowledge, as well as information researched through trusted veterinary sources.

At-home pet euthanasia in the Twin Cities Metro. Sadly, I had to use these services last year. My beloved Tweak, who lived to be at least 17 (it's hard to know, since he was first adopted as a stray), went to sleep on October 15, 2015.

Birds


Giardia infection and feather plucking in parrots. Feather plucking is a psychological issue of
boredom in parrots. Giardia is a parasitic infection that can occur in many animals. Sometimes, though, giardia is the reason a bird plucks and mutilates.

Giardia infection & feather plucking: A first-hand account. Unfortunately, I have experience this, too. Have pets long enough, you eventually have to deal with their illnesses. Read about my account of giardia with my parrot. I'm still dealing with feather plucking issues!

If you would like to receive Minneapolis and Twin Cities pet articles, including news, events and advice, follow the Minneapolis Pet News Examiner on Facebook or subscribe to email alerts.

No comments:

Post a Comment