Thursday, January 3, 2013

True to Words' Top Posts of 2012

At the start of a new year, I like to compile a list of the top 10 most popular posts  from the previous year. Considering I barely wrote a dozen posts last year on this blog, a top 10 post would basically rehash the entirety of 2012. So here is a list of the top five most popular blog posts at True to Words last year.

5. Top 10 True to "Words" of 2011. In 2011 I discovered word clouds I had some fun with Wordle - a word cloud generator. It inspired me to create a list of the most popularly repeated words on True to Words, for the entire blog and as part of a year-end review for 2011. I'm not sure I'm as curious about that for 2012, but I'll probably still explore that the next time I play with the word cloud generator. Check out Wordle if you're interested in a basic program, but if you get serious, Wordaizer seems to be the way to go.

4. Friday Photography - Make a Fleece Tie Blanket. A fine example of my slacking, this post was just published last week and it's already in the top five. I made a fleece blanket as a Christmas gift for my sister-in-law and used the photos as part of my regular Friday Photography segment. In this post I gave instructions on how to make a fleece tie blanket, while telling a story about my own experience making one. They are surprisingly easy, so you'll particularly want to check it out if you're the crafty type.

3. STOP SOPA & PIPA. In January of 2012, the U.S. Congress and Senate were going to vote on a pair of bills that would have had a fundamentally altered the internet as we know it. On January 16th, websites across the United States participated in a "blackout" to protest the legislation. Visitors to protesting sites would simply see a black screen with perhaps an explanation for why the site was black. I couldn't figure out the HTML to black out my blog and all the websites that could teach me how were already blacked out, so this was my way to protest on that day.

2. Guest Blog Posts at TopRank. I wasn't just ignoring my blogs without reason, I was busy writing other things. For about a year and a half, I worked at TopRank Online Marketing, first as a writer and then as the content marketing manager. During my time there, I had the opportunity to write several social media marketing posts that appeared on the company's prominent blog. This compilation links to my best guest posts published there.

1. 15 Quotes About Writing. I love writing. It's valuable and beloved to me in so many ways, I could hardly explain it in anything less than a novel. So instead, I assembled a list of quotes from some respected writers and other great minds that do a good job of exposing the tip of the ice berg that is the love I feel for writing (and its related topic, creativity). I am done being a nerd now, thank you.

I hope the brevity of this list, and the shortness of the corresponding photo blog post, Sam Can Shoot Top Posts of 2012, will inspire me to be a more prolific writer, blogger and photographer in 2013.

Top 10 Posts for True to Words' First Year
True to Words' Top 10 Posts of 2010
True to Words' Top 10 Posts of 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment